Sheila Semrou’s professional skills include project visioning, architectural planning, interior design, original ‘healing art’ and photography. Through careful planning, innovative design, and attention to detail, she produces interior environments that inspire and heal. Her project experience includes Healthcare/Medical, Senior Living, Hospitality, Office, Retail, and Residential.
Sheila has great passion and enthusiasm for some of the most challenging markets. This stems from real life experiences involving family members. Her mother spent 7 continuous months in a hospital followed by 18 years in skilled nursing care. Her father spent weeks in an ICU which Sheila designed. And her brother lives with mental illness and homelessness. Professionally, these experiences have given her great understanding of the opportunities and challenges. The knowledge influences her work and Sheila dedicates her career to improving the built environment!
Additionally, manufacturers of products used in the healthcare and senior living markets have sought Sheila’s expertise for product design and development. Her innovative ideas, critical thinking skills, and understanding of complex issues have been trusted by companies producing items for healthcare and senior living environments.
Sheila spends her free time volunteering for the Wisconsin Humane Society, the Alzheimer’s Association of Southeastern Wisconsin, and the MacCanon Brown Homeless Sanctuary.
- AAHID – American Academy of Healthcare Interior Designers
- NCIDQ – National Council for Interior Design Qualification
- WRID – Wisconsin Registered Interior Designer
- WHEA – Healthcare Construction Certificate
- AIA – American Institute of Architects – Associate Member
- ASID – American Society of Interior Designers – Professional Member
- IDCW – Interior Design Coalition of Wisconsin
- WHEA – Wisconsin Healthcare Engineering Assoc. – member since 2003
Awards and Recognition
- 2010 ASID – Gold Design Award Oconomowoc Memorial Hospital – New Bed Tower Project
- 2001 IIDA – First Place Award Stoughton Hospital – Third Floor Addition: Medical / Surgical Unit, Intensive Care Unit, Pharmacy, Inpatient Rehab., and support spaces for staff, visitors, family.
- 2000 ASID – Award of Excellence Stoughton Hospital – Third Floor Addition: Medical / Surgical Unit, Intensive Care Unit, Pharmacy, Inpatient Rehab., and support spaces for staff, visitors, family.
- 1997 ASID – Honorable Mention St. Mary’s Hospital, Milwaukee – Second Floor Intensive Care Unit Renovation
April 2011 Health Facilities Management – Magazine Quoted in article titled, “Rolling it out : selecting carpet for the health care environment” by Neal Lorenzi